Inspired by the Holy Spirit
Written by: Teresa Criswell
|Photo courtesy of Google Images|
Have you ever been moved to tears? To Laughter? To anger? Have you ever been moved to frustration and then allowed frustration to cause you to vent? Where does venting usually lead to? For me it's a seeming myriad of thick, resistant webs...the more I "try" in my own strength; my own will power to not be "moved", it seems the more frustrated and angry I become.
In this subtle drifting of being moved - whether the manifestation of leaning into God's Holy Wind by His Holy Spirit or being moved by self, an ungrateful heart that allows circumstances to cause me to see even more of what I don't have leads me to look up the definition of the word moved in the Webster's 1828 Online Dictionary:
- moved: stirred; excited;
- stirred: agitated;
- agitated: tossed from side to side; shaken; moved violently; disturbed
"So Lord, how do I practically overcome being moved from the minor mishaps, let alone the devastating news of this temporal life whether it be news of losing a loved one or friend to the seemingly crushing reports that could fracture anyone Who don't know You, and even in all of it, how do I remain focused on You? I want to Lord, but how?"
How? How? How? How?
Of course from the perspective of God, Who perceives nothing as too difficult or impossible for He knows Who He is - in the moment I asked, "But how?" It's as though I can see His overwhelming presence of Grace in comparison to the billowing waves of the sea that were meant to crush me, He makes it look like nothing but a kiddie pool - and I envision His grace upholding me with His Jesus, Who is His Victorious Right Hand; Who sets me up on the wave which causes me to ride the waters as though I were a mastered Tamer of the Seas!
In the realm of practicality, there is nothing we do "per se" but it's in this instead...it's more being aware of His presence that is already within us (Upon the acceptance that I believe and receive Jesus Christ as my ONLY Lord and Rescuing Savior), knowing He is the Only One Who is Mighty to Save and there is no one else like HIM! This is where the "how" comes into play. The "how" is making ourselves aware to His presence by...
- Thanking Him for Who He is..."God! You are glorious! Even the heavens declare your glory, but I do not want creation to be the only declarer of Who You are - You are Holy! You are Magnificent and Mighty and Lord although I only know a glimpse of what these descriptive words mean - I'm in awe of You - I'm in awe that in Psalms, many writers declare of your Steadfast Deliverance - even when undeserved - how can I not be in awe of you?"
- Praising Him and declaring that He is the First and the Last - He is the Last Word in everything; what the enemy has meant for evil, praise God that He is in the turnaround business.
- Knowing He is there in the midst of it all.
- Meditating on His mercies that are new every morning and seeing with more clarity than ever that He is EVERYTHING and you have been a witness within moments how He has made every mountainous circumstance into plateauing fields because we have allowed Him with our declaring praises.
- How to take every good, bad or indifferent thought and bring it to Him - by saying/declaring, "Lord, I'm aware You are with me, Your steady hand will not make me stumble...for now as I behold Your greatness it leads me to awe which leads me to no longer resist You - but fall into You! Lord, You heard/saw that thought - what do You say about that Lord?
The instructions for seeing God make mountains into plateauing fields is directly from Psalm 100:
"Shout with joy to the Lord, all the earth!
Worship the Lord with gladness.
Come before him, singing with joy.
Acknowledge that the Lord is God!
He made us, and we are his.
We are his people, the sheep of his pasture.
Enter his gates with thanksgiving; go into his courts with praise.
Give thanks to him and praise his name.
For the Lord is good. His unfailing love continues forever,
and his faithfulness continues to each generation."
Here's a great music video by Johnny Swim titled, "Diamonds"...I love listening to this song, especially in those moments the mountains seem incredibly big: